San Antonio Zoo hosts its family-friendly, non-spooky Halloween celebration Zoo Boo!
San Antonio Zoo kicks off Zoo Boo! & Drive Thru Zoo Boo!, a fun, non-scary Halloween event for the entire family. Little ghouls and goblins are encouraged to wear their best costume to participate in a daily costume contest with a chance to win a zoo prize pack. Children of all ages and adults are welcome to dawn non-scary, family-friendly costumes. Costume masks are only permitted for children under the age of 12. Zoo Boo! is included with zoo standard admission and FREE for Zoo Annual Pass Holders and Monthly Members.
Zoo Boo! FAQ
Can I wear a Halloween mask?
Halloween masks are only permitted for children under the age of 12.
Does the zoo provide trick-or-treating bags?
Guests are encouraged to be “green” and bring their own bag for trick-or-treating. San Antonio Zoo will offer reusable, eco-friendly trick-or-treat bags for purchase at all zoo gift shops or merchandise carts.
Will I be allowed to leave the zoo and come back for trick or treat using the same ticket?
Reentry is not allowed. Guests who leave the zoo before the trick or treat hour must purchase an additional admission ticket(s).
What time is trick-or-treating?
Guests can trick-or-treat throughout the zoo daily from September 19th – October 31st during the last hour of the day. On Friday evenings, when Drive Thru Zoo Boo! is offered, trick-or-treating is from 5-7 p.m.
Are any of the Zoo Boo! activities an additional fee?
Yes, the Pumpkin Patch and Pick a Pumpkin are additional charges during Zoo Boo!
Is the candy that is being handed out eco-friendly?
This year Zoo Boo! is proud to feature trick-or-treat candy that is eco-friendly, as it contains responsibly sourced palm oil. This falls in line with the zoo’s conservation efforts to save forests and the wildlife found there. Palm oil is the most widely used vegetable oil and is found in over have of products found in supermarkets. Because of this, land and forests are cleared to make way for palm oil plantations, thus threatening wildlife. San Antonio Zoo is committed to bringing awareness to ecological issues like this.
Trick-or-Treating Safety Guidelines
To make trick-or-treating safe for our guests and Zoo Crew during Zoo Boo!, we have implemented the following safety guidelines for our guests participating in trick or treating.
- Our Zoo Crew will be wearing gloves when passing out candy during the trick-or-treating hour and will be changing gloves frequently/as needed.
- Please refrain from direct hand-to-hand contact.
- Guests will be required to form single-file lines when waiting to receive candy at our trick or treat stations throughout the zoo.
- Please maintain 6-feet of distance between your party and other parties while waiting in line to receive candy.
- Face masks/coverings are strongly recommended for outdoor areas for all guests ages 10 and over.
- Face masks/coverings are required for all indoor locations including restrooms.
- Face masks/coverings will be required for all animal interactions for guests ages 2 and older.
- San Antonio Zoo face masks/coverings are available for purchase at all gift shop locations.
- All guests participating in Zoo Boo! trick or treating must have a bag with them for Zoo Crew to place candy in.
- Bags are available for purchase at our gift shops throughout the zoo.
Social Distancing & Safety Guidelines
- Face masks are strongly recommended for outdoor areas for all guests ages 10 and older.
- Face masks are required for all indoor locations including restrooms.
- Face masks will be required for all animal interactions for guests ages 2 and older.
- San Antonio Zoo face masks are available for purchase at all gift shop locations.
- The maximum size for vehicles participating in our Drive Thru Zoo Boo! experience is 224″ L x 81″ W x 74″ H (roughly the size of a full-sized Suburban).
- Reentry will not be allowed after exiting.
- For your convenience and safety, there will be dozens of hand-sanitizer stations placed throughout the zoo courtesy of H-E-B.
- Zoo Crew will be regularly cleaning and disinfecting knobs, rails, and other surfaces commonly touched throughout the zoo.
- Bathroom facilities are open and will be cleaned regularly.
- Social distancing markers will be placed on pathways, in front of habitats, and in restrooms.
- Please maintain a safe distance of 6-feet from the nearest guest that’s not in your herd during your zoo visit.
- Our restaurants will be open with enhanced safety measures to ensure your herd has a safe and fun experience.
- There will be no tables of more than 10 people.
- Restaurants locations will operate for service up to 50% of the total listed occupancy inside the location.
- Restaurants and Retail locations will regulate the number of people inside each location to help maintain location occupancy.
- Please be prepared to pay using a valid credit or debit card at San Antonio Zoo. VISA, MasterCard, AMEX, and Discover are accepted. Some locations accept Apple Pay and Android Pay. The ability to use cash is very limited.
- Due to our limitations, the following areas are temporarily closed:
- Water fountains (please visit our restaurants for complimentary water)
- River Bank will be closed for maintenance and repairs beginning on Monday, June 22.
- To make your next zoo visit the best experience possible, please plan your visit ahead of time.