When does the zoo open?
Click here for daily hours and a calendar of events.
Social Distancing & Safety Guidelines
- Face masks are strongly recommended for outdoor areas for all guests ages 10 and older.
- Face masks are required for all indoor locations including restrooms.
- Face masks will be required for all animal interactions for guests ages 2 and older.
- San Antonio Zoo face masks are available for purchase at all gift shop locations.
- The maximum size for vehicles participating in our Drive Thru Zoo Boo! experience is 224″ L x 81″ W x 74″ H (roughly the size of a full-sized Suburban).
- Reentry will not be allowed after exiting.
- For your convenience and safety, there will be dozens of hand-sanitizer stations placed throughout the zoo courtesy of H-E-B.
- Zoo Crew will be regularly cleaning and disinfecting knobs, rails, and other surfaces commonly touched throughout the zoo.
- Bathroom facilities are open and will be cleaned regularly.
- Social distancing markers will be placed on pathways, in front of habitats, and in restrooms.
- Please maintain a safe distance of 6-feet from the nearest guest that’s not in your herd during your zoo visit.
- Our restaurants will be open with enhanced safety measures to ensure your herd has a safe and fun experience.
- There will be no tables of more than 10 people.
- Restaurants locations will operate for service up to 75% of the total listed occupancy inside the location.
- Restaurants and Retail locations will regulate the number of people inside each location to help maintain location occupancy.
- Please be prepared to pay using a valid credit or debit card at San Antonio Zoo. VISA, MasterCard, AMEX, and Discover are accepted. Some locations accept Apple Pay and Android Pay. The ability to use cash is limited.
- Due to our limitations, the following areas are temporarily closed:
- Water fountains (please visit our restaurants for complimentary water)
- River Bank will be closed for maintenance and repairs beginning on Monday, June 22.
- To make your next zoo visit the best experience possible, please plan your visit ahead of time.
Is there a Dress Code?
In keeping with our family-friendly atmosphere, and for health and safety reasons, San Antonio Zoo strictly enforces a dress code. Proper attire must be worn at all times, including shirts and appropriate footwear.
Clothing or tattoos with offensive language or graphics are not permitted at any time.
Examples of clothing not permitted are those displaying:
- Graphic violence
- Support for drugs and drug use
- Gang symbols
- Promotion of discrimination against any group
Admission may be denied if clothing or tattoos are deemed to be inappropriate by management and the Guest refuses all reasonable options. Shirts cannot be turned inside out as a solution.
Where is the best place to park?
Planning a visit to the zoo? Check out the map below for available parking areas in and around Brackenridge Park and the new Zoo Parking Garage! The Zoo Parking Garage is located in between the zoo and Will Smith Zoo School. Parking at the garage is free during zoo business hours.
Am I allowed to bring food and drinks into the zoo?
Outside food or drink is not allowed into the zoo. Exceptions are: bottled water, baby food, and formula. Ice chests, coolers, and ice bags are not allowed on zoo grounds.
*School groups will still be allowed to bring in lunches for their classes.
Are Starbucks products allowed in the zoo?
Starbucks products are allowed in San Antonio Zoo.
Are pets allowed?
Unfortunately, due to state and federal regulations, your furry friends are not allowed into the zoo, however, service animals are welcome on zoo grounds under the care of their owner. San Antonio Zoo asks that all guests with service animals check in with our Guest Experience office (located at the main entrance to the right of the ticket booths) for a check-in process.
What are random bag checks?
For the safety of our guests, zoo crew, and animals, our Zoo Ranger team reserves the right to inspect packages, bags and containers at Entry Point.
Does the zoo rent strollers and wheelchairs?
You are welcome to bring your own strollers. In order to make your visit to San Antonio Zoo as enjoyable as possible, we also offer the following rentals:
- Single Stroller $13.00
- Double Stroller $16.00
- Wheelchair $10.00
- Electric Wheelchair $35.00
- Electric Wheelchair with canopy $45.00
*A valid drivers license is required for all rentals. Tax not included.
What experiences and animal encounters does the zoo offer during my visit?
San Antonio Zoo offers a wide array of ZOO-nique experiences that you and your family can enjoy. Please visit our experiences page for more information.
Please note, some of our experiences may be an additional charge. Also, animal experiences are not guaranteed due to inclement weather or animal availability.
Does the zoo have a lost and found?
Visit our Guest Experience Office, located at the zoo’s main entrance, if you have lost an item or child. Open daily to closing.
Charitable Donation Requests
San Antonio Zoo is pleased to give back to the community by considering all charitable donation requests from qualified 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations. Click here to submit your application.
Does the zoo close due to inclement weather?
San Antonio Zoo is open rain or shine unless the severity of the weather poses a threat to the safety of our guests and staff. If we do close for a weather event, we will post the news on our website and San Antonio Zoo’s social media accounts. We do not offer rain checks or refunds due to inclement weather.