Docents serve a vital role in helping the San Antonio Zoo reach its mission of providing a diverse educational experience to our many visitors each year. With provided training, they are involved in a variety of educational opportunities including touring school groups, interpreting zoo exhibits, and presenting education animals.
There are currently two docent programs: weekday and weekend. Weekday docents are required to volunteer one 3-hour shift a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday). Weekend docents can create their own schedule on either Saturdays or Sundays and are required to volunteer 6 hours a month. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Docent interviews take place November-December and training classes start on Saturdays January-February.
San Antonio Zoo Docents must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Agree to a criminal background check
- Complete application
- Read and abide by the policies listed in the Volunteer handbook
- Maintain a customer friendly attitude
- Keep an accurate record of volunteer hours
- Report on time for volunteer service
- Provide annual proof of TB testing
- Be available once weekly or 2 weekend days a month
- Wear a designated uniform and nametag while volunteering on Zoo property
- Commit to either the Weekday or Weekend docent program
- Complete two 7-week training sessions over a two year period
- Attend continuing education training to remain current on animal presentation procedures
- Notify Volunteer Services, in writing, of any change in volunteer status
Click here for application link