Volunteer at the Zoo
Thank you for expressing an interest in volunteering with the San Antonio Zoo! If you are passionate about animals and conservation then volunteering for the Zoo will be a fulfilling experience. The Zoo is open 365 days a year so our volunteer opportunities are flexible.
The San Antonio Zoo does not accept community service, court appointed or short term volunteers.
The benefits of volunteering with the San Antonio Zoo:
- Personal development
- Volunteer shirt and nametag
- Orientation session and volunteer handbook
- Annual TB testing for volunteers working in animal care departments
- Extensive animal, plant and conservation training
- Invitations to special Zoo functions and opportunities to volunteer at special events
- Quarterly Volunteer Newsletter
- Annual volunteer recognition party
- 10% discount at Zoo Gift Shops
- 30% discount at Food and Beverage Stands
Volunteer Calendar Highlights
Youth Volunteer (age 14-18)
Summer Camp and Summer Naturalist Volunteer application
accepted from April 1st to May 1st.
ZooTEAM Volunteers must participate in Summer Camp or Summer Naturalist before selection will be considered
Applications are accepted from October 1st to November 1st.
Docent interviews will take place November-December.
Training for new docents begins in January.
Fall Internship application deadline is September 1st.
Summer Naturalist Internship application accepted from Feburary 1st to March 15th.
For all other Summer Internships application accepted April 1st to May 1st.
Corporate or Military Group Volunteers
The need is periodic. We will post more as opportunities become available.